Head to Waterfront Park
If you’re looking to spice up your 2017 summer with fireworks, concerts, or even air shows, look no further than Louisville’s Waterfront Park. This historical park features the Big Four Bridge, Lincoln’s Memorial, playgrounds, unique sculptures, restaurants, and even the Belle of Louisville, a historical steam boat that has been in commission for over 100 years responsible for 7 million cruises on America’s inland waterways.
Whether you want to attend a festival, take in a concert, or just watch the beautiful Louisville sunset over the river, there’s not much you can’t do at this 85-acre park. Additionally, the park is only one mile from the hotel. If you would like to forget about parking all together, take advantage of the free parking package offered! Nothing makes for a better weekend getaway than Louisville’s Waterfront Park.
Waterfront Park Concerts in Louisville
- Thunder Over Louisville: It’s easy to see why more than 350,000 people attend each year. The April 22, 2017 event is now in its 27th year and includes the nation’s top air show which, last year, featured the US Navy Leap Frogs, Trojan Horsemen and A-10s. Along with the 3 p.m. display comes the nation’s largest annual fireworks extravaganza at 9 p.m. making it an all-day event.
- Waterfront Park Wednesday: A monthly free concert starting on April 26th at Big Four Lawn. This concert brings people together to dance and visit in a family-friendly park atmosphere. To lighten the stress on parking, a free trolley service is offered for people who park West of I-65.
Waterplay Playground for Kids
Waterfront Park has two playgrounds just east of the Big Four Bridge at the silver lot.
- Adventure Playground opened in 2004 and has kid-friendly play assemblies such as a bridge and steamboat along with amazing views of the river.
- The Waterplay area (which is attached) is open from May to October and includes spray cannons and water misters.
- The children’s play area is divided up by age group into three different areas and a climbing rock. Kids and parents alike are able to catch a view of the downtown skyline and Great Lawn from this area.
- Park hours: Daily – 6 AM-11 PM
- Big 4 Bridge open 24/7